|Date Posted||September 19, 2022|
Call Centre / CustomerService
The Director will oversee the Customer Care team, which is organized into three separate groups: Design, Sales Support, and Engineering. The focus is on delivering Medium Voltage Metal Enclosed Switchgears design and pre-sales technical and commercial support to meet customer needs while considering safety, quality, effectiveness, and compliance with applicable Switchgear Standards per CSA, UL, ANSI and IEEE requirements.
In this senior leadership role, the incumbent will be part of the Production Operations leadership team reporting to the Vice President - Production Operations. They will be a key decision-maker and a strategic thought partner with solid tactical skills to improve the business and meet our KPIs in safety, quality, delivery, and cost (SQDC).
The director will author and maintain strategic action plans, and scorecards on strategic priorities and Lean Performance System (LPS) initiatives. They will report on those priorities and enact countermeasures when targets are missed. In addition, the Director must have solid problem-solving skills, give constant attention to detail, desire for accountability, ability to coach, and have excellent communication and organizational skills. Finally, this individual must have a proven record of team member development.
- Develop a multi-year strategic vision for the areas they oversee that aligns with the 5-year growth plan.
- Partner with sales, operations, and other senior leaders to create and implement a customer success strategy.
- Ensure the Customer Care team is meeting customer needs and partner with the sales team, as a technical expert where required.
- Ensure flawless designs are delivered with quality and on time to customers and the internal manufacturing operations team.
- Accountable for accurate pricing and quotation of jobs.
- Promote a safety culture, taking all reasonable precautions to protect team members from illness or injury. Investigate and report on safety incidents.
- Serve as a change agent by influencing, communicating, and institutionalizing a culture of simplification, accountability, standard work, process improvement and lean principles.
- Accountable for operational expenses with the expectation of delivering on-budget targets.
- Implement process and system improvements that ensure high quality, safe, and efficient production as S&C's products grow.
- Create and drive a positive, diverse, and inclusive work environment, building on the Job Relations best practices deployed throughout the leadership team.
- Empower managers to achieve weekly, monthly, and annual Safety, Quality, Delivery, Productivity, Cost, and human resource targets.
- Be a strategic partner to internal and external customers to discover new solutions, resulting in commercial and operational success.
- Coach and mentor direct reports in Problem Solving and other LPS/CI activities.
- Responsible for decisions regarding hires, promotions, corrective action, and terminations.
- Identify training and skill development to meet departmental needs that align with our competency framework ("Career Framework") and training direct reports to support this initiative.
- Bachelor s Degree in electrical, mechanical or process engineering
- MBA an asset
- Minimum of 10-15 years experience industry experience in a sales, commercial, or manufacturing operations role, and at least 5 in a leadership position.
- Experience with commercial and industrial engineering and utility projects and an understanding of the Electrical Distribution Market.
- Demonstrated track record of lean manufacturing leadership, sustained improvements, and KPI attainment.
- Experience leading multiple complex product teams within a high mix-low volume manufacturing environment.
- Proven team-building and change management skills to coach, mentor, develop and empower team members.
- Knowledge of industry-relevant regulations and standards for Medium Voltage Switchgear or an equivalent experience on Controls and Relay Control Panels or Low Voltage Switchgear.
- Technical aptitude and knowledge of assembly processes, sheet metal fabrication, welding, and paint finishing.
- Direct experience formulating and communicating the commercial strategy to best address customer needs.
- Excellent project management skills.
Certifications and/or Licences
- P. Eng (preferred)
- PMP (preferred)
S&C is a global company providing equipment and services for electric power systems. Founded in 1911, the Chicago-based company designs and manufactures switching and protection products for electric power transmission and distribution. S&C s Engineering teams design solutions for a portfolio of products for a wide range of customers including electric utilities and industrial/commercial power users. S&C offers broad opportunities for advancement, excellent education and training programs, a challenging work environment, and a strong package of pay and benefits.
The Human Energy of S&C has been built on the principles of integrity, enthusiasm, and sustained energy. These are the traits that S&C has always looked for and found when seeking people to join our 100% employee-owned team. S&C would not be where it is today without the diversity of our team members and business partners. We consider our diversity to be a core strength of our company, and we aspire to align our team-member demographics with the populations in which we live and work. To realize this vision, we seek to facilitate the career development of minorities, women and all team members through events hosted by our Inclusion, Diversity, Engagement and Awareness (I.D.E.A.) Group, Women s Empowerment Group and other S&C affinity groups.
S&C has a proud and longstanding tradition of providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or marital status. Further, S&C is committed to taking affirmative action to ensure that qualified females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities can pursue equal employment opportunities. For information regarding equal employment opportunity, please see