|Location||Not Specified, Canada|
|Date Posted||September 23, 2022|
Contract - Ongoing. Project due for completion 2026
This contractor position is on a Project basis and will initially be working remotely. There is a potential that trips to Vancouver will be required. You will then be required to go to the jobsite in Arizona USA as the project progresses.
Responsible for direction, planning and coordination of the construction phase of major mining and metallurgical process facilities projects, beginning in the early phases of project definition with project execution planning, phasing and scheduling, and constructability reviews, and continuing throughout the erection and commissioning phases of the project, with particular emphasis on jobsite health and safety, environmental protection and labor relations. Reporting to the Project Manager, the scope of this position includes all aspects of construction from early planning stages through direction of field erection and commissioning activities, with hand-off to the site operations team for beneficial operation.
- Assists the Project Manager / Director in the evaluation of major mining and metallurgical process facilities projects in the definition of scope, estimate of cost and development of required schedules to effect the design, procurement and construction of required facilities
- Works with the Project Manager / Director to identify construction phase activities that must be completed to ensure successful completion of the work in accordance with the requirements
- Interfaces closely with site-based leadership, health and safety personnel and other FMI organizations to ensure that work is executed in a manner consistent with the expectations of the operating property and in a safe and environmentally responsible manner
- Works with the project team, site-based personnel and third party consultants and contractors to estimate cost, develop field execution strategies, and derive required schedules for the execution phase of major projects, with particular emphasis on constructability of facilities and compliance with HSEC guidelines
- During the engineering phase of the project, participates in execution planning discussions to ensure well-conceived and logical schedule development
- Through analysis of jobsite, workplace and local conditions, anticipates potential issues and constraints that may interfere with efficient execution of the field phase of the work and develops contingency plans to minimize their impact
- Works with the EPCM contractor to develop a well-conceived contracting plan that promotes effective utilization of both field resources and construction equipment, allowing the erection phase to complete in minimum time
- Directs the construction activities of the EPCM contractor and contractors in the field (if appropriate) to ensure that work is accomplished efficiently and in accordance with schedule
- Participates in evaluation and management of changes to the work and works to minimize impacts to cost and schedule
- Ensures that a comprehensive QA/QC is in place to monitor quality of all aspects of the project
- Monitors work in-progress and completed to ensure that the the work is of a quality and character that meets the requirements and the site operations team
- Participates in progress review meetings (weekly, monthly), monitors progress versus schedule (master, look-ahead, and specific) and works with project team, EPCM contractor, site operations team and others to resolve issues, and recover or compress schedule
- Verifies contractors' actual field progress with that claimed, assists with processing contractor pay requests and works with Project Controls teams to ensure work process is as claimed
- Assists with reforecast of job costs using actual progress, work remaining to complete and estimates to complete
- Collaborates with the project team to develop and implement strategies realign the project with the established budget and schedule
- Ensures that work in the field progresses in accordance with established health, safety and environmental programs that have been put in place by the Project Team, the site-based operations team, and the EPCM contractor
- Participates actively in the field to underscore the importance of safety and responsible environmental stewardship to the overall goals of the project, the operation and to FMI
- Bachelors degree in engineering or related field, or equivalent in training and/or field experience and a minimum fifteen (15) years experience in the field, engaged directly in the practice of construction and construction management OR
- High School diploma or GED and a minimum twenty (20) years progressive experience in the field, engaged directly in the practice of construction and construction management
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of engineering, construction and contracting
- Proven experience in the management of capital projects with a value exceeding $300 million
- Work involves frequent travel, international assignments, and relocation to the site of work
- Proficient in the use of personal computers in a business environment. MS Word, Excel, Outlook, essential
- Experience in the mining and metallurgical processing industry
- Experience with large copper concentrators
- Prior EPCM experience preferred
- Heavy industrial construction experience
- Experience in Lean Construction practices
- Productivity and Performance improvement experience with a workforce of several thousand people
- Solid background in heavy machinery (Ball Mills, Crushers, Grinders and large bore piping) installations
- Experience with scheduling programs
- Understanding of Labor requirements and forecasting
- Experience is setting KPI's and tracking on a day to day basis
- Predominant experience in field roles
- Working as a team member (Client, EPCM & Contractors)
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.